Remember that nutty stuff on crunchy baked ingredients in the bakery? Yes, I am talking about those tiny poppy seeds, which are also known as khus khus. The seeds are added to the bakery items and other meals to add some crunch and color. The seeds come with a mutilated shape and contain a crumbly texture with a flavor similar to the nuts. Mostly used in bakery items, they are also used to decorate some dishes.
Although the flower from which the seeds are derived, is said to have some narcotic properties, the seeds are free from any kind of addictive drugs. The immature seeds may contain some portion of alkaloids in the form of morphine, which is an addictive painkiller, the ripe seeds don’t contain any kind of such substance in it.
Nutrients Obtained From Poppy Seeds
Have you ever thought that the miniature seeds would also be full of nutrients! Yes, that’s true. The poppy seeds are rich in folate, niacin, minerals, calcium, etc. Let’s have a broad view of the nutrient list it serves you with.
1. Calcium and Phosphorus
Poppy seeds contain a good amount of calcium and phosphorus required on a daily basis. They both are necessary for the growth and strength of the bones. The bones cannot be replaced with new ones, and hence, it is important for the elders to maintain them. Poppy seeds help them in not only maintaining but also preventing them from osteoporosis. Phosphorus, on the other hand, helps in the producing energy and forms the DNA cells.
Iron not only transmits oxygen to every part of your body but also stores some portion in your muscles. This stored oxygen is utilized when your body performs extra activities. The iron obtained from poppy seeds is also important for the proper functioning of your immune system. The iron helps in the production of neurotransmitters and proteins which improves your immunity.
Zinc is a nutrient which the body cannot store, and hence, you need to intake ingredients which are rich in zinc. Zinc is a supporting element for the formation of proteins. It also helps the new cells to produce and develop in a healthy manner. It also encourages the normal and neurological development of the body. It also boosts the cells, which fight against the bad bacteria in your immune system, by helping in its production.
The outer portion of the poppy seeds provides you with dietary fiber in a good portion. The fiber helps in absorbing the water, slowing the metabolism in the digestive region. It gives you relief from constipation problems and keeps you completely hydrated throughout the day. It also reduces the cholesterol level in the LDL blood with the help of bile salts and reducing the distraction of the colon.
5. Vitamin B-Complex
Poppy seeds are also rich in Vitamin B-Complex. The list also includes thiamin, niacin, pyridoxine, pantothenic acid, folic acid and riboflavin. It helps in the process of metabolism, especially for carbohydrates and fat. A water-soluble ingredient of Vitamin B, Thiamin helps in producing energy from carbohydrates, which helps the nervous system, muscles and heart in functioning. The pyridoxine in the seeds helps in the process of conversion of food to glucose, generating energy. It also controls the blood levels, which reduces the risk of heart disorders. Pantothenic acid helps in using the carbohydrates, lipids and proteins which improve the health of your skin. Folic acid is obtained for producing red blood cells, which is helpful during pregnancy for the development of baby’s brain and spinal cord.
6. Vitamin E
Vitamin E obtained from poppy seeds is very beneficial for disorders like heart disorders, neurological disorders, cancer, etc. which also includes dementia. The ingredient is also beneficial for the health of the skin. It also reduces the chances of beriberi, depression, anemia, etc.
Poppy Seeds Benefits for Health, Skin and Hair
The poppy seeds are filled with several ingredients, and hence, it has various skin, health and hair benefits. Here are few benefits which may shock you that a small ingredient, carries all these profits.
1. Poppy Seeds Benefits For Health
The poppy seeds are adequate enough for various small and big health disorders. The plant has several chemical compounds in it that is capable to prevent from various diseases. As it is also rich in various acids such as oleic acids, which are helpful in heart diseases and strokes. It also includes alkaloids which are equally healthy too. When included in various dishes, it gives remedies to the following health problems:
- Coronary Artery Diseases
- Nervous disorders
- Liver disorders
- Reduces cells of cancer
- Digestive disorders
- Lowers high blood pressure
- Cough, cold and scurvy
- Hormonal problems
- Teeth Development
- Helps in healing and strengthening bones
- Development of sperm generation
- Cramps, menopause and menstruation problems
- Anxiety, stress and depression
- Brain functions
- Growth and development of muscles
- Prevention from osteoporosis etc.
2. Poppy Seeds Benefits For Skin
Poppy seeds are widely used in several beauty products also. Experts have been using it for healing benefits for the skin. The poppy seeds are also used in Ayurvedic products for the skin. Following are few poppy seeds benefits on the skin:
- When used in the form of a pack, it works as a moisturizer for the skin, mostly the dry skin.
- Poppy seeds contain an element named linolenic acid, which helps in curing eczema problems.
- Having itching skin or any kind of burning sensation! Mix paste of poppy seeds with lime juice for getting rid of the problem.
- Mix poppy seeds with curd for making a natural face scrubber.
- Works as an anti-aging pack for dealing with wrinkles, dark spots, etc.
3. Poppy Seeds Benefits For Hair
Just as poppy seeds are good for health and skin, they are also beneficial for the hair. Be it any internal problem or external, poppy seeds have always given amazing results for shining and smooth hair. The air pollution and malnutrition has led to several hair problems which can in a natural way be cured using poppy seeds. Some of them are:
- Disorders resulted due to undernourishment like split hair, dandruff, alopecia, etc.
- Drying or breaching of hair due to prolonged illness.
- The fatty acids along with minerals in poppy seeds give the best results to thin, unmanageable and rough hair.
Use of Poppy Seeds in Medicines
The healing feature of poppy seeds makes it an ingredient with several medicinal values. It is widely used for several medicines in countries like India, UK, Turkey, Afghanistan and Australia. Here are some medicinal uses of poppy seeds:
- Painkillers are made from the elements like morphine and codeine obtained from poppy seeds for maladies of cough medicines, diarrhea, etc.
- Monounsaturated fatty acids in poppy seeds help in the treatment of carcinoma.
- They are widely used in treating heart attack patients or fever as it gives a cooling sensation.
- Poppy seeds containing iodine are also used for patients who lack a different kind of iodine.
- The iodized poppy seeds are also beneficial for treating carcinoma and other tumors.
- It is used in various skin healing medicines and oils in Ayurveda.
Points To Be Kept In Mind While Using Poppy Seeds
Poppy seeds are generally one of the safe ingredients to use. There are very rare people who might have met with any kind of allergies after having poppy seeds. They are also safe for the infants and the pregnant women. However, the people related to sports should keep in mind that the seeds contain morphine, codeine, etc. substances which are opiate and hence, it may result to fake positive results.
Facts Related To Poppy Seeds
- Poppy seeds are active in the soil for approximately 8 years.
- The poppy seeds containing opium are legally grown in places like Dorset, Oxfordshire, Berkshire, Hampshire, Wiltshire, Lincolnshire, etc. for medical uses like Morphine.
- They are listed in the prohibited goods in Singapore as they contain opium alkaloids which may list you in the drugs addicted list of fake positive test results.
- The average number of seeds in one plant numbers from 10000 to 60000 which is rare in any plant.
- The opium seeds were used by the Sumer civilization which can be proved through the images regarding to that civilization.
- The Games of Thrones visualized the use of poppy seeds as a medicine in the form of the milk of poppies.
- Poppy seeds mostly grow from the mid of June month to October.
- Poppies are kind of weeds found on land where agriculture is carried. However, it is used as a fertilizer to make the land fertile.
Poppy seeds are listed as one of the natural ingredients which include several beneficial elements in it. The multi-advantageous ingredient can be used in making several mouth-watering recipes like Flourless Blueberry lemon poppy seeds muffins, poppy seeds fig pancakes, spelt crackers, scones, baked eggs with lemon cream and poppy seeds, etc. It is also widely used in baked items, cereals, salad dressings, etc. to increase the taste of the meals. Have a taste of this marvelous kidney-shaped seeds, which would surely end with an unforgettable taste you might have ever had.