Different minerals and nutrients are essential for the functioning of human body and so is magnesium. It is one of the essential minerals which have some unknown and surprising benefits on the body! If you think that magnesium is just another mineral which is simply good for the body’s growth, these magnesium rich foods facts are going to stun you! Ever searched for the magnesium content in various foods? Get ready to do it now as, from the depth of medicinal researches and facts about human body, here are some benefits of magnesium which would make you consume it every day! In this article we will find the answers of these important questions –
- What is magnesium and why it is so important for the body?
- What is the daily body requirement for magnesium?
- Benefits of magnesium for the body.
- What are the consequences of magnesium deficiency?
- What are the best foods to obtain magnesium?
- Delicious magnesium rich foods you must include in your diet!
What Is Magnesium And Why It Is So Important For The Body?
- Magnesium is a mineral which has its own uniqueness and benefits. Obtained from various foods, this mineral provides strength to the body.
- The human body is made up of so many organs and works on lots of processes. These processes are also known as enzymatic reactions
- The example of such processes are metabolism, absorption of nutrients, nerve impulse transmission, blood flow, the digestion processes of protein and complex nutrients like fat etc.
- These processes require magnesium and thus, it is important to consume the required amount of magnesium daily!
- All these processes are immensely important and for them to work efficiently, your body needs magnesium which can be obtained from different magnesium rich foods.
- Low consumption of magnesium can lead to some extreme conditions and disease which can also turn life threatening! And thus, it is a very important mineral for the body to progress!
Certain individuals are more susceptible to magnesium deficiency, including those diagnosed with Crohn’s disease and coeliac disease. Individuals with type 2 diabetes and older adults can suffer too. Especially if you are struggling with alcoholism then you must check for the magnesium deficiency.
If you are suffering from certain health problems or have a magnesium deficiency, your doctor may advise you to take a magnesium supplement. This supplement can help alleviate a range of health issues, including constipation, indigestion, high blood pressure during pregnancy, irregular heartbeat, and even reduce the risk of cerebral palsy in pregnancy.
Here is a useful video highlighting the Keto-Friendly Magnesium-Rich Foods you would like to watch –
What Is The Daily Body Requirement For Magnesium?
The recommended amount of magnesium differs from different age groups and gender. Here is the required amount of magnesium needed daily:
- In the body of an adult around 25g magnesium is found in different ways.
- A baby till 6 months of age would need 30mg magnesium.
- A baby from 6 months to 3 years would require around 80mg magnesium.
- From 4-8 years of age, both girls and boys require 130mg magnesium.
- From 9-13 years the amount becomes 240mg magnesium.
- From 14-18 years males require 410mg and females need 360mg magnesium.
- Above the age of 19 males require around 400mg while females need 320 mg magnesium daily.
- Also, pregnant women require around 340mg magnesium daily.
What Are The Consequences Of Magnesium Deficiency?
- Magnesium deficiency is also known as hypomagnesia. This is caused due to lack of magnesium mineral in the body.
- Magnesium deficiency can cause metabolism issues. It is one of the most important minerals which regulates metabolism and allows the removal of stool to get easy.
- It can also cause muscular pain, insomnia, and poor memory, changes in the heartbeats, diabetes, neurological issues and heart failure!
Benefits Of Magnesium On The Body
Magnesium is a rich mineral which can regulate several processes of your body and make it healthier! Here are some of the best benefits:
1. Magnesium Can Improve Bone Health And Make Them Strong
- Bone health is a huge concern, especially for elderly people. With increasing age, the bones start getting weak and thus, it is important to consider bone health
- Magnesium helps in activating vitamin D which makes the bones stronger and also increases the bone density
- Also while you consume calcium rich foods, magnesium helps the bones to absorb calcium and get stronger as ever!
- Thus, bone strengthening is one of the major benefits of this mineral!
2. Magnesium Can Help In Lowering The Risk Of Diabetes
- Not all of us know that diabetes is caused by the metabolism and conversion of carbohydrates in blood sugar!
- Lots of people have this misconception that sugar solely can cause diabetes. Diabetes is caused when the carbs are converted into blood sugar and these increased blood sugar levels can cause diabetes.
- Magnesium has a direct relation to this process. The intake of magnesium can prevent the conversion of carbohydrates into blood sugar and thus prevents diabetes.
- People suffering from diabetes type 1 can prevent type 2 while people not having diabetes can stay safe while consuming the right amount of magnesium.
3. Can Battle Neurological Issues And Mental Illnesses
- Magnesium has a rapid effect on the neurological processes. Your brain and neurological system requires magnesium to perform normally
- Also conditions like stress, anxiety, depression can be battled with this rich mineral.
- This mineral works on the glands which regulate the feeling of stress and depression and controls them. The pituitary and adrenal glands get controlled with this mineral.
4. Helps In Reducing Menstrual Pain And Premenstrual Syndrome
- Women generally suffer from gas, bloating, abdominal cramps, tenderness in breasts and such conditions before and during menstruation period.
- Also, these are the symptoms of premenstrual syndrome which can be prevented by consuming magnesium.
- Consume the needed amount of magnesium daily and stay away from this pain!
5. Magnesium Can Improve The Digestive System
- If you are constantly suffering from constipation, diarrhea, stomach cramps and such stomach related issues, you are lacking magnesium.
- Consuming magnesium would help your digestive system get rapid and work amazingly.
- It relaxes our various muscles in the digestive system and intestines. Also, it can help the stool to move easily from the intestines
These are the main benefits of this mineral but apart of these benefits it can boost your energy, keep your heart safe, reduce muscle pain, calm your nerves and help in sleeping issues!
What Are The Best Magnesium Rich Foods?
- Almonds are an extremely rich source of magnesium and are one of the delicious dry fruits which you can consume and get healthy!
- 1-ounce almonds consist of nearly 30mg to 80mg magnesium which is quite high and would fill your body with minerals and nutrients while you munch on your evening snacks with almonds
- Munching on these crunchy and delicious nuts would simply fill your stomach as well fill your body with essential nutrients. Boost your brain power and heart with magnesium rich foods!
- Add it in your milk shakes or munch them after your workout sessions and stay healthy!
- If you love to eat spinach in your lunch, in salads and in form of smoothies, here is a healthy treat for you! Spinach consists of whooping 150mg magnesium in just 1 bowl quantity!
- Spinach is an amazing source of iron and magnesium and thus makes your body super strong!
- The metabolism gets boosted with these minerals and while you consume simply 1 bowl spinach daily, you would never face digestive issues!
- Also other minerals like protein, iron, folate, sodium etc which are extremely important for the body are loaded in spinach and thus, eat this super food to stay healthy!
- Yogurt is an awesome probiotic which consists of several minerals and electrolytes which can help boosting metabolism and throws out all the toxic substances from your body
- Yogurt is a classic food which is used in mouth watering dishes and can also enrich your body with magnesium.
- 1 cup yogurt consists of around 50mg magnesium which is quite awesome!
- You can also mix it with different fruits and enjoy a delicious dessert filled with rich nutritional value!
- If you want a low fat and high nutritional valued ingredient which can also provide you magnesium, here are the delicious avocados, which you can consume.
- Just 1 medium avocado fills you with around 60mg magnesium.
- It consists of around 20 different minerals and nutrients to treat your body!
5. Dark Chocolate
- This is not a daily food which we consume in the meals. But as a treat or yummy dessert, we definitely consume dark chocolate.
- Generally, we worry about the calories in this food which can make us obese and our cholesterol levels high. But in the case of dark chocolate, the nutritional value and benefits of dark chocolate are surprising!
- Dark chocolate helps in reducing stress, anxiety and such issues while it can provide 100mg magnesium in just a single cube!
- Just a single cube is awesome for your body and can help in battling magnesium deficiency as no other ingredient!
- What can be more tasty and delicious source of magnesium than bananas? Bananas are filled with some essential minerals which can repair and activate all the processes of your body!
- In a medium sized banana, you can have around 35mg magnesium and fill nourished!
- Bananas are filled with protein, calcium, potassium; vitamin D and magnesium with together would make you feel energetic and strong!
- If you love the stunning and mouth watering sizzlers, barbeques and dishes filled with tofu here is an awesome news! Tofu is a rich source of magnesium which you can consume and fight all magnesium related issues.
- Consuming tofu would also provide you some calcium, protein and rich minerals which can benefit you in different ways!
- Consume half bowl tofu and get up to 50mg magnesium!
- Love munching on these delicious nuts? Here is a reason to consume them even more.
- Also if you love to consume peanut butter, consume it without any hesitation as it consists of 50mg magnesium in a spoon!
- You can also add peanut butter in your smoothies and can fill your smoothie with a lavish nutritional element!
9. Sesame Seeds
- If you love the burgers studded with sesame seeds, here is a reason to add some more on your foods.
- One tablespoon sesame seeds consist of 30mg magnesium and helps in the digestion process. It also helps in solving the neurological issues
- Sprinkle some on your burgers, salads, chicken and foods. These little seeds can simply work magical on your magnesium levels!
10. Black Beans
- If you love the cooked and baked black beans, you must know the rich nutritional value of these beans.
- Half bowl of black beans can fill you with 60-100mg magnesium which is quite an stunning amount!
- Consume black beans once a week and get loaded with magnesium and other rich minerals!
These are some awesome magnesium rich foods which you can include in our diet. Consume each food daily and your nutritional requirements would get satisfied with different foods. Here are some awesome magnesium rich foods recipes which you can try and enrich your magnesium intake!
Delicious Magnesium Rich Recipes You Must Include In Your Diet!
If you are getting confused regarding what to eat for high magnesium, here are some smoothie recipes which promisingly provide you magnesium and would help in battling deficiencies!
1. Delicious Black Beans And Brown Rice
If you love eating rice, here is an amazing recipe which is filled with tons and tons of magnesium. This recipe includes brown rice and black beans which are both filled with magnesium.
6-7 cups water, 1 bowl black beans, 1 jalapeño, 2 onions, 3 garlic cloves, pepper, 1 bowl rice, olive oil
- Wash the rice and keep it aside on a bowl.
- Also drain the black beans and let them dry.
- Chop the onions, mash garlic, cut the jalapeño and prepare these toppings.
- Boil the water in a broad pan; add the beans, jalapeno, onions, garlic and pepper. Let it all cook and also add salt.
- In another pan, add some oil sauté onions and garlic in this oil.
- Add rice, water, salt and pepper and cover it with a lid. When the rice gets cooked serve it on a plate with the cooked beans!
- Enjoy this peppery and delicious recipe while enjoying the beautiful weather out there!
2. Delicious Spinach Smoothie
If you are a fitness freak and require a smoothie to enrich your magnesium content in the body, here is an awesome magnesium rich spinach smoothie which you would love to drink!
1 bowl spinach, 1 avocado sliced, 5 strawberries, water, honey
- In a blender, add 1 bowl chopped spinach.
- Add sliced avocadoes and strawberries.
- Add half cup water and 1 spoon honey.
- Blend these ingredients and prepare a smoothie.
- This smoothie consists of maximum magnesium due to avocadoes and spinach. Thus if you have signs of magnesium deficiency, drink this smoothie and battle it!
3. Banana Cashew Almond Smoothie
These are the three magical ingredients with lot of magnesium. Fill your body with magnesium with just a single serving of this lavish smoothie!
2 medium bananas, 8-10 cashews, 5-6 almonds, water
- Add 1 cup water in the blender
- Also add the chopped bananas, cashews and almonds in the blender
- Blend these ingredients and pour in a glass
- Add some ice if you like chilled smoothie
- Enjoy this refreshing smoothie and enrich your magnesium intake with this super cool smoothie!
Now that you know the importance and benefits of magnesium rich foods, try to consume maximum magnesium rich foods to satisfy the daily requirement and also to fight magnesium deficiency. Eating magnesium rich foods would help regulate all the enzymatic processes of your body and keep you healthy forever!
Hope you found our article useful and informative. If you really liked the information then please share this article on social media with your friends and family. Also please leave your feedback in the comments section below.